Thursday 11 February 2016

48 Hours in Dublin


During our holiday with my parents, we managed to squeeze in one little overnight trip to Dublin - but we should have stayed for longer! I think we managed to see the main sights of Dublin, but I would recommend going for at least 2 nights to get the most of it.

After a very early flight with Ryanair, we arrived around noon, grabbed some much needed lunch, dropped our bags of at the Airbnb we rented, and headed off. As we had very little time, we got tickets to the Hop On Hop Off Bus. In my opinion, it's the best way to discover a new city when you're pressed for time, as there is little to no chance of you getting lost!


My favourite people.


First stop - Trinity College! I wish I had a chance to visit the Wren Library, but we didn't have enough time. I'll have to go back, that's for sure. Trinity College has such a beautiful campus, I can't imagine what it would be like to study here. I do love beautiful universities.




A quick peak inside the Irish Whiskey Museum, but we'll have to give it a go next time we're in Dublin.



Christ Church Cathedral. What a beautiful building! We also drove past St Patrick's Cathedral, but didn't have time to stop there. We did stop at Christ Church and visited Dublinia. It's a really cute museum, all about the history of the vikings in Dublin, and how the city came to be. It was geared towards kids, but we still got a lot out of it.



The Guinness Factory! The husband wouldn't let us come to Dublin and not visit the Guinness Factory. I was actually very excited to see this, even when I can't stand the taste of Guinness! It's such an iconic part of Ireland, so it's a must if you're ever in Dublin. You learn all about how the stout is made, its history, and how to pour the perfect pint. It's a very interactive museum, and you also get a free pint at the end of the tour.



Pouring the perfect pint of Guinness!


A quick little snack during the tour.


Being a Communications major, I really enjoyed seeing the display of old Guinness adverts. I love the animals they used!



We spent quite a few hours at Guinness (it's a huge building!), so by the time we got out it was dark out. We took a taxi all the way to Temple Bar, the famous streets where all the pubs and restaurant are. We had a voucher for a meal at the Shack Restaurant. I had the most delicious Irish stew. I would also recommend Quay's Irish restaurant - the food is amazing and they have some really good live music.



Badass Dublin - a really great pub!


The next morning, we had about half a day left in Dublin. We headed out, grabbed some breakfast, and then hopped on the bus again. Our tickets were good until noon, so we took advantage of the few hours left. We strolled around Merrion Square Park, and then decided to go to the Natural History Museum.






We had a few more hours to kill after the Museum, but we were all so tired by then, that we hopped on the bus and simply did the whole loop. I'm pretty sure we all fell asleep at some point! take note, you must have good walking shoes in Dublin. We ate some sushi for lunch, and before we knew it, it was time to go back to the airport and catch our flight to back to Birmingham.

I was lucky enough to go back to Dublin for my hen do - a weekend of drinking and eating (how perfect for me), but I still have the Dublin fever! I'd love to visit in the summer and stay for 2 nights, at least.

Have you ever been to Dublin? Anything to recommend?

0 comments:

Post a Comment