Wednesday 2 September 2015

A Capsule Wardrobe


I’ll admit, I’ve been feeling much uninspired with my wardrobe lately. A lot of the pieces (especially the ones for work!) have been worn to death, some of my favourite shoes had to be thrown out because they fell apart, and I still have things that I never wear. I decided to read up on the “capsule wardrobe” everyone seems to be talking about these days got inspired by this blogger (http://www.un-fancy.com/capsule-wardrobe-101/what-is-a-capsule-wardrobe-anyway/) and her amazing posts about capsule wardrobe. She survives a season (about three months) with about 37 items in her wardrobe. Only 37!

I made my own list for a capsule wardrobe of items I would like to purchase. I want things to be practical, comfortable, and more importantly – neutrals! I love neutrals, and although I stick to grey quite a lot, I would love to get a bit of neutral colours like navy blue and burgundy in my wardrobe.
I also decided to make a conscious decision to spend more on quality. I live for bargains, so this could be a little difficult for them. The only problem is, buying a £10 sweater means it’ll only last about three months and then I’ll have to buy another one. The point of a capsule wardrobe is to shop less in the long run, own items that can be mixed and matched easily, and create your own unique style. I want this to be a goal from now on, so I don't end up purchasing items "because they're on sale" or "because so and so wore it".

I made a cheeky ASOS order for my birthday and only got things that were in my list: a grey sweatshirt, a black midi skirt and a striped dress. I would also like to get a pair of moto boots and a one pair of wedge boots for this season. While I know I won’t be able to purchase everything on my list straight away, I’d like to have all of these pieces before the beginning on spring next year. I also thought I should set myself a budget for the items. Tops shouldn't be more than £30, bottoms no more than £50, outerwear no more than £100, and shoes no more than £50. It seems like a fair budget for each item, and I think it should allow for more quality to come through if I spend a little more than usual.

This is my list so far (I'll be checking off the items that I already have/bought):


  • Graphic tee
  • Striped tee
  • White tank
  • Classic button up
  • Slouchy sweater
  • Wrap coat
  • White sweater
  • Winter jacket
  • Sweatshirt
  • Cocoon cardigan
  • Black midi skirt
  • Boyfriend cardigan
  • Checked shirt
  • Trench coat
  • Graphic tee (long sleeved)
  • Chambray shirt
  • Distressed denim
  • Fit and flare dress
  • Striped dress
  • Indigo jeans
  • Tunic top
  • Sweater tunic
  • Wool joggers
  • Black denim
  • Unstructured blazer
  • Colour-block sweater
  • Pointe leggings
  • Leather jacket
  • Hem skirt
  • Leather leggings
  • Dress boots
  • Cut-out booties
  • Wedge booties
  • Cognac booties
  • Moto boots
  • Farm-style boots


I'll strike off items as I get them and I am pleased with them. Again, while I want to quality item, I'll also make sure to see if I can buy anything with a discount coupon. The ASOS order I put through had a 10% voucher which I was sent for my birthday - perfect when you want to treat yourself a little.

Have you heard of a capsule wardrobe?
Do you think this is something you'd like to try?
Show me your capsule wardrobes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment